Monday, April 11, 2011

Whats in a NAME??

Ahhh the name game. Sean had two names picked out at the begining of the pregnancy. Drum roll please................ Maximas Thor or anything with the middle name "Danger". He even told me that if I let him have the middle name of Danger I could pick whatever first name I wanted. I said NO WAY! It was a continues discussion throughout my pregnancy.... neither side relenting. Sean said he always thought it would be so cool to be Sean Danger Penberthy (imagine him saying that in his deep voice with emphasis on the Danger part). And how all of our sons friends would think he was sooo cool because his middle name would be Danger. He tried to convince me that our son would love us for ever because he could tell people, "my middle name is Danger", or "they call me Danger". I guess i'm too much of a girl and just couldn't understand it all =)
In the end, we went to the hospital with three names we liked. Eli, Liam, and Walter. Eli and Liam were just names we liked. We didn't hear them any particular place or know any particular person with the names. Walter is a family name. Sean's paternal Grandfather was Walter, Sean loves and adores his Grandfather. My maternal Grandfather is Neil Walter. Growing up he was called Walt. I love and respect my Grandpa so much. It just seemed fitting to name our son Walter. We ended up naming him the day we left the hospital. It came down to Walter and Liam. The two names we liked best. And yes Sean was still pushing for Danger at this point. If we gave him his first name as Walter we would call him Walt, although I was afraid some people would call him Wally which I hate. It was a (for me) stressful decision process, should he be Walter Liam or Liam Walter. In the end we chose Liam Walter. I can't tell you a strong particular reason, but this is what we chose.

Our first few days home with Liam I still (secretly) wasn't sure about the name Liam. I sometimes regretted naming him that. But quickly the name began to fit him and now I couldn't see calling him Walter. He is our little Liam, and we love him so much!

No comments: