Monday, October 12, 2009

Six Lake Basin

So this is us.... the hard core backpacking crew!!! Sean, Anna, Jake, and Suz.... yeah, we're pretty hard core =)
A few weekends ago we went backpacking at the southern edge of Hells Canyon Wilderness (look at the sign behind us) we went into Six Lake Basin.


Jake and Susannah


Did I mention this was Susannah's first time backpacking?!!!!! Here we are at the trail head, Jake and Sean were pulling on Susannah's backpack straps, practically pulling her over to get it just right.



We started at the lake in this picture (Black Lake), we hiked up and up ....





This is the hill side on the way up, it was so red! This picture does not do the red color justice.






The sign marking the trail to Six Lake Basin.

Another pretty picture of Idaho.



On a short break Susannah made a friend.



Jake likes to play with fire, and he has a beard.



This is the lake we camped at the second night.


So poor Sus got stung, jake thought it might just be better to cut off her leg....luckily Anna with extensive medical training reasoned him out of that idea. You're welcome Susannah. =)


Can you see that speck way out there in the middle of the lake??? That is Jake and Susannah on a "homemade" raft.


Another beautiful picture



Jake only partially fell in once...they even had home made paddles.

Cute pic.



So my husband is a hard worker, and he likes big fires. Always when we are backpacking, the first thing he does is goes and finds wood, and cuts it up. He wouldn't go anywhere without that saw. So while he gathers and cuts wood, I set up the tent and go about other setting up duties. I am grateful Sean takes his responsibility to keep me warm very seriously.



Our camp.


My old man... or is that old mans beard? (you'll get that joke dad)
I fished quite a bit, but no luck. But as always it felt so good.










Jake was a natural fly fisher man.


Sean's not such a bad fisherman himself.






If you can see... Jake and Sus are climbing up this rocky slope.



Black lake on the hike out.



Jake especially loved this HUGE bolder...pretty impress.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. Beautifully warm weather, great scenery, great company. It was probably our last backpacking trip of the summer, it's getting cold up here in Moscow now.
I LOVE BACKPACKING!!!


2 comments:

Susannah said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! For the record... I'm glad Sean takes his job to keep you warm seriously, as well :)

Melinda said...

That is so fun! I didn't know you did another backpacking trip. Then again, I guess I'm a bit out of the loop! ;-D So we need to do a date night date night! :-)